Friday, March 25, 2011

Who is your Moses?

Have you ever just felt stuck? Like you weren’t moving forward in the things in your life?? Have you ever felt that there was something that was holding you back from experiencing the true joy of life? Let me tell you I have. And as I thought, questioned, and prayed about why I felt stuck over the past few months it didn’t come to me until just recently that there was such a story in the bible of a people stuck in slavery for 430 years, yes you heard me 430 years!!! Can you imagine? Generations upon generations stuck doing the same routine. These people you ask? The People of Israel. For years they served the Egyptians, building their temples, statues, being slaves to something that only hindered them from moving forward in life that kept them stuck to the same thing that kept them from experiencing a life beyond the walls of captivity. Can you imagine what they were thinking? “When are we going to ever be free from these walls of captivity? When?

If you wonder why I brought up this story in particular let me first take you back to a story of a man named Moses, born a Hebrew, found by the Pharaohs daughter in the Nile River, made son of Pharaohs’ daughter, eventually being used by God to deliver his people from 430 years of slavery but not before Moses wrestled with the Lord himself about self doubt and the questions of what ifs? But even with his self doubt God still used Moses to set his people free, so now let’s go back to my first question. Have you ever felt stuck? Like you weren’t moving forward? Have you kept trying and doing the same thing but expecting a different result? That is defined as INSANITY!! If often take a drastic change in routine, in your day to day hum drum for you to get a different result and sometimes actually 95% of the time it takes a “Moses” in our lives to lead us out of captivity. Let me explain. Have you ever needed advice on something? What do you do when you can’t figure things out on your own you usually go to a person for “ advice right? Why? Because they know you, they know what you like or dislike and what your expectation are of things, you know if you ever needed them they would go to “bat” for you and walk with you in difficult circumstances. Well take a look at what Moses did for God’s people, on their behalf he went to Pharaoh going to bat for them and their freedom, he was in constant contact with God even in his self doubt he still forged ahead doing God’s will that eventually set God’s people free. You see the correlation?? We often especially in difficult situations try for a while to carry our own load, we try to solve things on our own only to find out after going “insane” for a bit you do need the help. Often it takes a “Moses” in our lives that’s in constant contact with God, that goes to bat for you in prayer, that knows your deepest secrets, you deepest hurts to help you out of the insanity and the captivity of being stuck in the same situation.

I have had “Moses” in my life in fact many of them, they are people that God continues to place in my life to help me stay on my road to freedom from anything hindering my relationship with him, they are people willing to go to bat for me when I don’t have the words or strength to. They pray for me and guide me, as God sets me free from the things in my life that hinder me and when I go through situations where I am afraid of drowning just like Moses led God’s freed people across the Red Sea even in their fear. Whether they are in my life today or not I am thankful for their presence, for their insight and especially for their guidance and prayer in difficult times. God has shown me through using the example of what Moses was to his people and how instrumental he was is setting his people free that I am not stuck and that he is setting me free one step at a time sometimes one moment at a time as long as I pay attention to the “Moses” and for that I am eternally grateful.

So if you ever feel stuck doing the same thing or feel bound by sin take a deep breath and look around at the people in your life and ask yourself...Who is my Moses?

No comments:

Post a Comment