Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Advice from the Heart..

In a world where split second decisions are often made based on what we think is the best for our lives in that moment, it is also often that without the right advice these split second decisions can prove to be very harmful, especially in cases where these decisions can have the potential to bring about a significant change in your life. I mean think about it how many times a day do you come across moments where split second decisions have to be made and how many times in those moments do you stop to think about that decision? I know in my own life I have often made choices that were made in the moment to find out later that these choices especially bad ones can have serious repercussions on my life, on those around me that are dear to my heart, and most of all on my relationship with God. Every decision I have made that causes me to step out of God’s plans for my life has proven time and time again to bring about confusion and “disaster” in my life.

If you look around in today’s society and even in our own lives there are people out there to help us make the best decisions for our lives. In the world of finances, we have financial planners to “advise” us on how to navigate through the treacherous forest of investments, retirement plans and saving money. In the world of health, we have doctors and nurses to “advise” us make best decision for the state of our health, whether you are battling a chronic ailment or whether you just need guidance on how to continually stay healthy. In the world of retail, we have people put in place to “advise” you make to the best decision in buying a car, house, or even small things such as clothing. Look around you, in every situation you come across there are people in your life to “advise” you in making decisions for just about everything. But did you ever stop to ask your self this question, “Do these people that I encounter in every decision making moment have my best interest at heart?” Along with allowing “advisers” help us make these decisions especially the ones that will have a tremendous impact on our lives, comes the word “TRUST”. Ask yourself this question, “Can you trust this person enough that you know without the shadow of a doubt that they are looking out for you? “

These past two years I have made a lot of decisions on a whim some of them good and some of them bad but in stepping back to reflect on what decisions I have made God has shown me the beauty of trusting him to “advise” me in making the right decisions for my life because only he knows what lies ahead of me. Listen to what God has to say in Jeremiah 29:11-14.

For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you,” says the Lord. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes…..” (NLT).

There it is, straight out of his word. In reading this verse God assured me that if I trust in his plans for my life by allowing him and his Holy Spirit to guide me in making the right decisions that no “disaster” would befall me and that I had a future full of hope as long as I would seek him in prayer “wholeheartedly”. It is only when I take it upon myself to step out of his plans that things go awry. But I will be honest with you, seeking God in everything I do and every decision I make has not come easy, especially for me. It has only been in the last year in my walk with God that he has shown me through prayer and seeking his will for my life that his thoughts are higher than my thoughts; his ways are higher than my ways. (Isaiah 55:8-9), he has shown me that only he knew what was ahead of me and that every decision I make without his guidance can only bring about disaster in my future I have learned to trust God to guide me in making the right decisions, because he has shown me time and time again through various circumstances that he has my best interest at heart. Gods interest in wanting what’s best for my life does not come out of selfish motives but one brought about by his unconditional love for me. In my walk with him, God has become the one “adviser” I can trust, the one that I go to for every decision whether big or small I make in my life and even in writing this God has reminded me that the best decision I could have ever made was this:

TO LET GO….AND LET GOD….

No comments:

Post a Comment